How to Know God and Go to Heaven
The Plan of Salvation
God’s Plan ~ Relationship
God’s plan from the beginning was to have a relationship with us. He was present with Adam and Eve and walked with them in the Garden of Eden, (Genesis 3:8-9). God loves us and wants to give us eternal and abundant life, (John 3:16; John 10:10).
Our Problem ~ Sin
Sin is disobedience and separates us from God. All of us have sinned and can’t be good enough or do anything to achieve salvation.
- for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (Romans 3:23)
The penalty of sin is eternal death in hell.
- for the wages of sin is death, (Romans 6:23a)
God’s Provision ~ Jesus
Jesus is God’s bridge to us. He paid the penalty for our sin. Jesus, the perfect Son of God took our place by dying on the cross for our sins and rose again so we could be reconciled with God and go to heaven.
- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)
- the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23b)
God’s Promise ~ Heaven
God tells us when we trust Jesus and what He did on the cross for us we receive the gift of eternal life. He places us in His family, and we’ll know Him forever.
- “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
- But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, (John 1:12)
A Prayer for Salvation
Dear God, I know I’m a sinner. I know my sin keeps me from knowing you, being a part of your family, and having eternal life. I know sin condemns me to spend eternity in hell separated from you. But I believe Jesus took my place and died on the cross for my sins and rose from the grave so that I can be saved and live eternally with you. I trust you only to save me; not me, my works, anyone, or anything else. I turn from my sin at this moment and accept the complete forgiveness you offer those who trust you for their salvation. I believe your word which says when I do this, I receive the gift of eternal life. From this moment forward I’ll trust in, depend on, and rely on you to enable me to live my life for you. In the name of my now Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Amen.